KSBY-TV, The Scripps NBC Station in San Luis Obispo, CA, is seeking a full-time Weekday Weather/MMJ who will primarily be relied upon for weather forecasting during mornings and mid-day. This position will also collect and analyze complex information for newsworthy events relying on critical relationships with local news makers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Interpret and analyze weather data to create local forecasts.
- Develop graphics and presentation of weather information
- Participate in community outreach projects.
- Use computer database to research statistics and facts.
- Uncover stories through investigation and research.
- Develop, create and research news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoots video and still photos to illustrate stories.
- Edits, or assists in editing, videos for all multimedia platforms.
- Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration.
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Write and produce quality news stories for multiple media platforms.
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multimedia stories.
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
It is preferred for you to have one or more of the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to develop graphics and presentation of weather information
- Thorough knowledge of weather data interpretation and forecasting
- Ability to deliver weather information in a concise and understandable way
- Computer literate, including newsroom computer systems
- Proficient at posting content to various platforms
- Strong organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
Job Status: Full-Time